Date:      Wed, 8 May 2002 09:46:22 +0300
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mylex RAID to Asus Symbios SCSI Card

Hi!

[Replacing Mylex RAID adapter with Symbios SCSI adapter]

> I have a question on this.  Is it even possible?  I don't know the
> details, but I seem to remember that each controller writes to the disk
> in its own way so that another controller type (different brand of SCSI
> controller) won't be able to read the disk or use it.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe if the disks on old controller were
configured as JBOD (no RAID) it would work, but if they were
configured as RAID array then I think that only the Mylex adapter is
able to adequately read the partition(s) on the array.

I'm not such a big RAID expert either, so of course my thoghts are
worth exactly what you paid for them :-)
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* I am Pentium of Borg! Division is futile! You will be approximated!