Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 95 17:57:55 CDT
From:      hykel@yoda.eng.hou.compaq.com (Richard Hykel)
To:        hykel@yoda.eng.hou.compaq.com (Richard Hykel)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how can I compile kernel from CD-ROM?

In March/April, someone posted a letter describing changes
neccessary to allow mounting a read-only source
tree (CD-ROM) and compiling directly off of it.

Did this work for the kernel also?
Was it too late for the 2.0.5R CD-ROM?

I want to recompile the kernel using sources directly
off of the CD-ROM, providing a kernel configuration
that will boot from my second hard drive and remove
the (Small/too small) FreeBSD partition from my first drive.

Section 3.14 of the FAQ indicates that kernel is apparently
excluded from being built off of the CD-ROM.

I have compiled kernels a number of times (pre 2.0R) and
I know how to edit my config file, etc.  What I need is for
some kind soul to clue me in as to how I can accomplish
this task from the CD if at all possible.

I have plans for > 1G drive, but that has to wait for now.

--
Richard Hykel                       hykel@twisto.compaq.com
My opinion is my own and subject to change... and change.