Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 2003 15:13:11 -0500
From:      Aaron Malone <aaron@munge.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup and portupgrade

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 11:33:25 -0700, David Bear wrote:
> Seems there really should be a
> cleaner way to keep things updated.

There is.

> I've heard reference to a portupgrade package, but can't find any
> details on how and what it really does-- and how well it plays with
> cvsupdate.

portupgrade (sysutils/portupgrade) is exactly what you want.  Install it
and read the docs.  portupgrade will build the new version, remove the
old version (preserving any shared libs for compatability), update
dependency references, and install the new version.

> It would really be nice if all this were
> done in the most perfect language, python;-)

I think you have python confused with ruby. ;)
But you don't have to build cvsup, just grab the package.  It's not
something you'll really have any need to track updates on.  If you do,
use ezm3.

--
Aaron Malone
aaron@munge.net