Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 07:59:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Eliuk <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Do *you* have problems with floppies?

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> I'm looking for indications which would point towards the driver.  One
> of these might be:
>
> 1.  Floppy formatted under <insert your OS here> on the same machine.
> 2.  FreeBSD runs into hardware problems with the floppy (typically
>     things like checksum errors).
> 3.  <insert your OS here> can read the entire floppy with no trouble.
>
> If you can give me hard evidence of such occurrences, I'd like to hear
> from you.  I know that plenty of people can tell me that they've had
> occurrences of (2), maybe in conjunction with (1), but unless you can
> prove (3) as well, I don't want to hear from you.

Here is a problem I had and what I included in a
previous question.

-=*
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 20:06:28 -0700 (PDT)

 Heres one I can't find in the archives.

 I tried to mount a 720Kb DOS Floppy with:

 /sbin/mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

 today  which  returned an input/output error, and returned to
 tcsh prompt. I was interupted and while dealing with  that  I
 turned to notice the following.

 Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
 instruction pointer             = 0x8: 0xf010fa91
 stack pointer                   = 0z10: 0xefbffee4
 frame pointer                   = 0x10: 0xefbfff0c
 code segment                    = base 0x0, Limit 0xfffff, type 0x16
                                 = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1 ,gran1
 processor eflags                = interrupt enabled, resume, iopl=0
 current process                 = 192(sh)
 interrupt mask                  net tty bio
 panic: general protection fault

 syncing disks... 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 giving up

 (this may not be accurate format but the content should be)

 This was a freshly formatted disk with no bad sectors report-
 ed.

# /sbin/mount -t msdos /dev/fd0.720 /mnt

Jul 11 20:35:27 kevin /kernel: fd0c: hard error reading fsbn
16 of 16-31 (ST0 40<abnrml> ST1 1<no_am> ST2 0 cyl 0 hd 0
sec 17)

As you might imagine, after the prior incident, I did a
clean shut down immediately as to avoid another panic.

Another consideration I had was that it was kernel config.

Jul 12 13:54:02 kevin /kernel: fd0: 1.44MB 3.5in

Although I can format a 720 without problem. ???
*=-

Hope this helps.

--
=| Regards,             =| FreeBSD ==> http://www.FreeBSD.org
=| Kevin G. Eliuk       =| "Free at last, free at last, ...."