Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 22:39:09 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        thomma@BayNetworks.COM (Tamiji Homma)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installworld and softupdates

> I have a machine whose / partition is 32MB and about 10MB
> space left.  Softupdates is enabled on / as well as other
> partitions.
>
> The buildworld completes with a hitch. Then installworld always
> fails when updating /sbin with / file system full.
> After the failure, when I did df, I saw 9MB left.
>
> Then I thought that softupdates was delay^H^H^H^H^Hoptimizing the
> temporary file space reclaim which install -s (stripping) creates and
> deletes very quickly during installworld.
>
> It turned off softupdates and tried installworld.
>
> Bingo!  It completed.
>
> So be careful when your / is running out and do make world/installworld.

Disk space held by uncommitted deletes depending on other operations
is, by definition, not reusable until such time as the operations are
committed.

Another fix would be to explicitly call "sync" at the appropriate
places to ensure the soft clock is drained (and thus deleted file
space was recovered before it was needed.

You can see this in action very easily by copying a full X11 tree
to a soft updates parition, syncing it out, deleting it, and then
doing a "df" once a second and watching the space "drain back".

The soft updates code should arguably advance the slot clock at
an accelerated rate in the case that new entries are not being
made.  Feel free to submit code.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---