Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 2009 20:01:21 +0000
From:      ivoras@gmail.com
To:        Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>, Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>,  Antony Mawer <fbsd-performance@mawer.org>, freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: FreeBSD 7.1 disk performance issue on ESXi 3.5

On Feb 13, 2009 8:27pm, Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org> wrote:

> In my limited experience with VMWare linux seems to have near bare metal
disk performance. FreeBSD seems to incur a significant performance penalty.
For instance on my laptop, running OSX and VMWare Fusion, FreeBSd virtual
machines can't saturate 100TX off the disk, raw dd manages about 7
Megs/sec, which is in line with what I get shovelling big files around.
Disk is a 7200 RPM SATA2.

You might want to try the patch Scott Long made recently
(http://svn.freebsd.org/changeset/base/188570) - I found it doubles the
performance in some cases for VMWare (writing mostly, though sequential
reading can be similarly improved by the combination of this patch and
increasing vfs.read_max), but it's still worse than with Linux (100 MB/s vs
150 MB/s).

As for the original thread topic: I've communicated with the OP and it
appears his method of benchmarking had an error so the problems that appear
in his post are bogus.