Date:      Sun, 5 Aug 2001 02:07:11 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: distributing binary ksh93

parv <parv_@yahoo.com> wrote:

> according to  q12 on...
>
> http://kornshell.com/doc/faq.html
>
> ...we (freebsd ports) may be able to provide ksh93 as a binary
> package as long as we "make the license terms available to everyone
> [we] distribute binaries to"...

Actually, my understanding of the license text itself suggests that
shipping the acknowledgement included in pkg-message is all that's
required.  The full license must be made available (or maybe even
explicitly acknowledged) for the source to be distributed.  Yes,
AT&T's license puts more restrictions on redistributing source than
on distributing binaries.

The license text is impenetrable legalese, so I may be misreading
things.  I'm not convinced that the programmers at AT&T (as opposed
to the legal department) understand it either, though.

> ...and i have ksh93 statically compiled (w/ man page) from the ports
> when the listed source file was available. that source file listed in
> hasn't change yet in ports/shells/ksh93/makefile.

Admittedly I was a bit slow in updating the port, but I eventally
submitted an update on July 10 and it has simply been sitting
unprocessed in the PR database since then.  Trevor Johnson has
finally committed it a few hours ago.