Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 15:34:42 -0500
From:      "J.A. Terranson" <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        "'Doug White'" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, "'J.A. Terranson'" <sysadmin@mfn.org>
Cc:        "Abraham J. Stephens" <stephea@aasis.albany-academy.org>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: rwt0 devices - NOT rft0!!!

Some days, you just *shouldn't* come in to work...
Please disregard this entire thread :)

(Just remembered that this drive was pulled from a multiple
drive box - it was set as drive number 4!!!  Like I said:  I'm
an idiot!)

Thanks Anyway...

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org

BTW: As an old SVR3/4 admin, I'm finding myself frustrated with
the minor syntactical changes between the two flavors.  For example,
RESTORE is on both systems, but the switches are different.  Has
anyone ever posted a syntactical comparison?  iF so, I could
*really* use it, and if not, I may do it...

OK, so I'm an idiot...  How I ended up trying rft0 I'll *never*
know, but...

Anyway, since (as you know from my address mapping post) this box has
a "wt" drive, I tried that with different results.

# dump -0af /dev/rwt0 /var
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed May  6 14:51:54 1998
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/rwd0s1e (/var) to /dev/rwt0
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 552 tape blocks.

(at this point the drive seeks, prolly to BOT)

  DUMP: Cannot open output "/dev/rwt0".
  DUMP: Do you want to retry the open?: ("yes" or "no") n
  DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
#

I have tried the *all* of the rwt devices with the same results..

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org

An *idiot* in training!  ;-)