Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 23:04:38 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        durian@plutotech.com (Mike Durian)
Cc:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser), freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: small bugs in pci code

Mike Durian writes:
> On Mon, 11 Nov 1996 00:10:20 +0100, se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser) wrote:
>
> >Well, I can only agree to half of that sentence: The mapping type is
> >found in the address, but also in the size. The low bits of the map
> >registers are hardwired. For that reason, (data & 7) is guaranteed
> >to be identical to (map & 7) ...
>
>   I'm not seeing this.  I'm enclosing some output from a boot on my
> machine (not the one will all the PCI busses).  I've added printfs
> to show the value of map, data and the addr, size parameters in each
> of the two cases.  As you can see (as in the ahc device), there are
> cases where the lower nybble differs in the map and data variables.
> You can also see where a memory region gets treated as an io region.
> I'm still not sure about the strange 0x500a1011 io address found on
> the DEC ethernet cards.

Well, the PCI probe in your boot message logs looks different
from everything I've seen before :-)

Please boot the same kernel (with your debug printf()s) again,
but this time with the "-v" option at the "Boot: " prompt.
This will enable even more messages about the PCI maps, and I
hope to understand from them what's going on ...
For now I'm very surprised about the behaviour of those DEC
LAN chips ...

Thanks in advance,

STefan