Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 2010 14:20:27 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Current support for Xserve G5

In our lab we have two Xserve G5 servers.  We'd like to keep using =
these, but, because of EOL issues with Mac OS X, I am looking for an =
Open Source replacement.  My preference is for *BSD---preferably FreeBSD =
or NetBSD.  When I looked a while ago, it seemed that the Xserve G5 was =
either not supported or not very functional under these two OSes.  =
(NetBSD, for example, had no support for the onboard SATA controller and =
so could only run diskless via netbooting.)

I just looked at the FreeBSD/ppc project Web page and was happy to see =
the Apple Xserve G5 as reported as running for FreeBSD 8.1.  Can anyone =
tell me whether this runs fully for the stock Xserve G5 hardware, or =
does it have some serious limitations to deployment, as mentioned for =
NetBSD above?

The Xserve G5 hardware we have is as follows:

Machine Model: Xserve G5
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2.3 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.15 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.7f2

This appears to be same specification as described at this Web page: =
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/xserve/stats/xserve_g5_2.3_dp.html

Assuming this hardware is fully supported, I'd be looking to do a clean =
install of FreeBSD onto it (replacing Mac OS X).  I looked at the ISO =
install instructions at the FreeBSD/ppc project Web page but they are =
written for "FreeBSD/PPC 6.0-RELEASE install.iso" and state right at the =
top that G5 is not supported.  Hence, they don't offer any advice =
regarding installing onto a headless, keyboardless Xserve G5. :-)

Does anyone have any more up-to-date instructions?  I've run -CURRENT on =
NetBSD/alpha, NetBSD/pmax, and FreeBSD/i386 before, so running on the =
bleeding edge is within my comfort zone.

Cheers,

Paul.

PS: If it turns out that FreeBSD is not well-supported on the Xserve G5 =
but you know of some other Open Source OS that is, please chime in with =
suggestions.=