Date:      Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:43:27 -0600
From:      Troy <troy@twisted.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RELENG_5 dc0 and dc1 watchdog timeouts - IRQ issues?

I recently upgraded this machine from 4.x to 5.x and am seeing a lot of
watchdog timeouts.

I've been trying to track down how to stop the constant watchdog
timeouts that I'm experiencing and figured to post to the list. The box
is running IPFW and has two NICs. Originally I was using a separate
physical Nic (xl0) and after seeing the watchdog timeouts, I switched to
a different card.  I am now using 2 ports on a quad card and barely
pushing traffic through it.  Every time I experience a watchdog timeout,
packets stall  creating chaos for performance.  I noticed that it's
output errors as opposed to drops.

I found a post where someone was talking about problems with getting IRQ
resources.  From the bootup messages below you can see that I'm seeing
errors and again tried to follow other threads where people had the same
problems but never got a decent answer.  I'm not sure what I can do to
fix these problems, but clearly the performance is horrible.

Any thoughts?

-Troy

<snip> from /var/log/messages
=============================
Mar  3 15:15:55  kernel: dc0: watchdog timeout
Mar  3 15:16:11  kernel: dc0: watchdog timeout
Mar  3 15:13:49  kernel: dc1: watchdog timeout
<hundreds of them>

Bootup messages
===============

adv1: Invalid baseport of 0x0 specified. Nearest valid baseport is 0x100
failing probe
adv1: Invalid baseport of 0x40 specified. Nearest valid baseport is
0x100 failing probe
adv1: Invalid baseport of 0x70 specified. Nearest valid baseport is
0x100 failing probe
adv1: Invalid baseport of 0xf0 specified. Nearest valid baseport is
0x100 failing probe
adv1: Invalid baseport of 0x4d0 specified. Nearest valid baseport is
0x330 failing probe

unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0303> at port 0x60 on isa0
adv1: Invalid baseport of 0x61 specified. Nearest valid baseport is
0x100 failing probe

unknown: <PNP0c02> can't assign resources (memory)
unknown: <PNP0f13> can't assign resources (irq)
unknown: <PNP0f13> at irq 12 on isa0
unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0501> at port 0x3f8-0x3ff on isa0

unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0400> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)

DC0 Interface
=============
netstat -Idc0 -d
Name    Mtu Network       Address              Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts
Oerrs  Coll Drop
dc0    1500 <Link#2>      00:80:c8:b9:99:b1   472393     0   451110
82     0   0

DC1 Interface
netstat -Idc1 -d
Name    Mtu Network       Address              Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts
Oerrs  Coll Drop
dc1    1500 <Link#3>      00:80:c8:b9:99:b2   474155     0   459074
92     0   0