Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:10:44 +0100
From:      Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brian Whalen <brian@brianwhalen.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP multi processor compilations and packages

--=-XbwpSqw+KyuOtUGR8vvO

Brian Whalen p=ED=B9e v =FAt 24. 03. 2009 v 12:08 -0700:
> Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> > Two days ago, I have checked in probably most requested feature of last
> > few years. Ports framework now systematically supports building ports o=
> > multiple processing cores. It is achieved by passing -jX flag to make(1=
)
> > running on vendor code. Of course not all ports handle this well,
> > experimental run on pointyhat with this flag globally enabled turned up
> > shy of 400 failures. Because of that, the feature was designed as a
> > whitelist. Individual ports need to be enabled, and indeed, fellow
> > developers took on and already started adding required declarations to
> > popular ports like Firefox and others.
> >

> >  =20
> On a related topic, I wonder what the cost would be of acquiring enough=20
> hardware so that  the probability of actually getting a package with=20
> portupgrade -aP would go up substantially.  I imagine the time required=20
> for the build servers to build packages with the above mod would go down=20
> substantially.

It's more a question of creating a new delivery platform, because the
currently used ftp mirrorring is useless for packages. The whole process
of synchronizing from upstream server introduces _days_ of delay into
the process, and there is no guarantee that you don't catch an upload in
progress, which renders whole mirror useless for a time period.

--=20
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
              <pav@FreeBSD.org>
Do not meddle in the fashions of wizards, for they are seasonal and
quick to fall out of style!

--=-XbwpSqw+KyuOtUGR8vvO
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_podepsan=E1?= =?UTF-8?Q?_=C4=8D=C3=A1st?=
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_zpr=E1vy?=

--=-XbwpSqw+KyuOtUGR8vvO--