Date:      Mon, 13 May 1996 01:01:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        khetan@iafrica.com (Khetan Gajjar)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (freeq)
Subject:   Re: Creating a network

Khetan Gajjar wrote...
> Hello.

Hi, how are things going - I recall your previous burst of activity
a few weeks ago.

> I want to run a network at home, with my FreeBSD 2.1 stable machine
> and a Windows95 machine, using either Samba or the ability to telnet
> from the Win95 machine to the FreeBSD machine.

I do exactly this.

> I have compiled my kernel with ed0 support, and it finds the device ok.
> I am confused with reference to what lines I need in sysconfig.

So far so good.  The special file (/dev/ed0) should also exist.

> I need to specify it as a network interface (network_interfaces="tun0 lo0
> ed0"), but what lines do I need for ifconfig_edo and routes.
>
> Neither machines are on a live network and both are used for dialling
> out. Also what IP address does the Win95 machine need to be set to ?

Well, I assume you don't have 'real' IP addresses for this network, so
you should choose addresses which _cannot_ be on the Internet, just
in case some of your packets escape.  There are a few networks which
are reserved for this purpose (see /etc/hosts).  Choose one.

I chose the '10.0.0.0' network, my FreeBSD machine is IP address 10.0.0.2
and my Win95 machine is 10.0.0.3.

The sysconfig entry for the FreeBSD host is:

ifconfig_ed0="inet 10.0.0.2 netmask 0xff000000"

Static routing entries in sysconfig are _not_ required.

Once you've done the basic Win95 TCP/IP setup, you should be able to
ping and telnet.  Then you can start on Samba...
By the way - in the early stages, do not set up the 'Client for
Microsoft Networks' binding in Win95.  Add this in later, for now
it only slows down booting and adds confusion.

> ---
> Khetan Gajjar
> Visit at http://www.iafrica.com/~khetan/
> UUNet-Internet Africa Operations
> help@iafrica.com or  0800-030-002

I heartily recommend the book 'TCP/IP Network Administration' by Craig
Hunt.  It's an O'Reilly book and explains the basics of TCP/IP, routing
and the basic applications (including DNS) very well.

John

--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key