Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:54:09 -0500
From:      Marc.Giannoni@comsat.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   vinum start problem in /etc/rc

     Hi:

     I believe there may be a problem with the vinum startup commands in
     /etc/rc.   Whenever I drop (my host) down to Single User mode, the
     vinum daemon is not stopped - which appears to be OK although FreeBSD
     does issue a warning.   When returning (my host) to Multi User mode,
     /etc/rc performs another "vinum start", AND THE VINUM DAEMON IS STILL
     RUNNING!   Vinum does not seem to like this (being started twice) and
     appears to causes the vinum disks to assume a "down" state.   I
     mistakenly tried to start these disks individually and subsequently
     corrupted a few subdisks which caused me to trash my file system.
     (I've gotta be more careful with these vinum commands in the future!!)

     I've not seen any comments about this issue, only the usual
     start_vinum="YES" line in /etc/rc.conf.   Should "/etc/rc" perform a
     process table check to ensure that the vinum daemon is NOT active
     prior to performing the "vinum start" command?  Is there a special
     "vinum" option that protect against recursive "vinum start(s)"?
     Should all vinum file systems be unmounted when dropping to Single
     User mode so that the vinum daemon can be (will be) stopped?

     Thanks

     Marc