Date:      Wed, 07 Jul 2010 10:30:24 -0400
From:      Stephen Sanders <ssanders@softhammer.net>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More Controllers != Higher Through Put

Thanks for the response.  Comments in inline ---

On 7/7/2010 10:12 AM, Ivan Voras wrote:
> On 07/07/10 01:35, Stephen Sanders wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this.
>>
>> I've a system with a 3ware 9650 servicing 4 7200RPM Segate 1TB drives
>> and the motherboard servicing 2 7200 RPM Segate 1TB drives.
>>
> So far so good.
>

>> The 4 disk array is RAID 6 while the 2 disk array is RAID 1.  The drives
>> should deliver about 100MB/s.
>>
> Ok, so you've reduced the 4-drive array's write performance nearly to
> equivalent of 2 drives and the 2-drive array to 1 drive. It should be
> even worse for random IOs.
>
> Since FreeBSD doesn't support RAID-6 I guess you are using hardware RAID?
>
> For the 2-disk RAID-1 : you are probably using software RAID, right?
> (on-board "SATA RAID" controllers usually are just software
> implementations).

The motherboard is an Intel 5000PSL with 2 - 3Ghz Xeon 5450 CPUs.

The 3ware controller is a hardware raid implementation.

The 2 disk RAID is probably done in software, its a BIOS configuration
item.  I should research that.

An additional data point is that we've modified the kernel to use 128KB
writes rather than the default of 64KB.
>> 1.  The most the 4 disk array is developing is 250MB/s write performance
>>
> This is too much. It almost looks like something is caching what
> shouldn't be cached. How did you get this result?
>
> I'd expect less than 200 MB/s sequential writes on a 4-drive RAID-6 with
> 100 MB/s drives.
>

>> while the 2 disk array is coming in at 90MB/s write performance.
>>
> This is as expected - write performance of any size RAID-1 is equivalent
> of 1 drive or less.
>

>> The 4 disk array seems slow.
>>
> Nope - the contrary should be true. It looks like you are doing
> something you shouldn't if you get that much performance, or your test
> is overly simplistic (e.g. you're testing cache).

The test program writes 32MB blocks to disk at a fixed rate with
O_DIRECT set on the output file.  I'll try this with bonnie and see what
I get.
>> 2. Attempting to write to both arrays simultaneously causes the rate on
>> the 4 disk array to drop to 150MB/s and the 2 disk array drops to 60MB/s
>>
> Are you running on an Atom CPU? What kind of system are you using?

2 Xeon 3Ghz E5450