Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 02:32:36 -0400
From:      "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, hoek@hwcn.org, softweyr@xmission.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

   And I'm not sure
   that white parents want to bring up prejudiced children who have to live
   in an increasingly racially diverse environment.

My white parents certainly haven't wanted to bring up prejudiced children.

But textbooks have not influenced my prejudices.  Getting to know a
few people well is what causes me to not be prejudiced against that
race.

Through the middle of my third grade year, I lived in Waterford,
CT.  (Interestingly, one man who lived in Waterford was recently
not hired by the New London police department because his IQ
was too high, and it made the newspaper here in Hawaii.)  I think
there were about 28 kids at my grade level at Oswegatchie Elementary;
for the first few years I think all of us were white.  (It happens
that we were divided into two classes.)  Later, a black family moved
into a house on the same street as me; one of the four kids in that
family was in my grade.  That's the only black family I've ever
come close to knowing in any personal sense where both parents were
around.  Two other black families that I come remotely close to
knowing don't have the father around.

And I think that I've always subconciously looked at this statistic
and concluded that blacks have trouble having stable families.
Of course that's totally irrational; most other races seem to have
similar problems.  The two Chinese friends I have at school who are
capable computer programmers both live iwth only one parent; one
Chinese girl I like a lot doesn't live with either of her biological
parents.  (Note that the statistics I just presented, if looked at
rationally, would suggest that blacks have more stable families than
Chinese.)

(Also note that such statistics are probably ridiculous anyway, because
I haven't sampled a large enough population.)

Anyway, the point is that I have many Chinese friends, because I live
in Hawaii, and there are lots of Chinese people around here.  And
because I've had the opportunity to get to know some of them,
I don't have any prejudice against Chinese.  I do recognize certain
differences between the European and Asian cultures (Asians tend
to be rather quiet, and don't like arguing forcefully; Europeans
have nothing against yelling in an arguement; and Asians generally
value respect above honesty, where Europeans would rather be honesty
even if it means hurting another person).  I recognize that these
differences exist, but I don't consider one culture superior to the
other.

I've also noted that I've often wished that I were Chinese.  Not
that any of my Chinese friends object to me being German.  Hawaii
is a wonderful place in that different races respect each other
and get along well.  (In fact, I sometimes find that the whites
dislike me more than the Asians.)  But it has caused me to understand
a little bit better how I would react if my race was actively hated.

Anyway, I currently think that I would like to marry a Chinese
girl, and have kids, and live in Boston.  And I've sometimes
wondered if that would really be a good idea.  If kids are of
mixed race in Hawaii, that's perfectly normal; but it's kinda
wierd on the mainland.  And I think it's probably safe to assume
that if I live in Boston, my kids would probably have an easier
time if they're pure white than if they're half Chinese.  But
I guess it doesn't bother me that much.