Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 07:45:45 -0600
From:      Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
To:        "Sabhanam, Srinivas (GEP)" <Srinivas.Sabhanam@gepex.ge.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix Shell Script Question

--zcJ3g15gE5QbzGiw

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 01:03:07AM -0400, Sabhanam, Srinivas (GEP) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could you pls. let me know how to delete files in Unix that are older than
> specified days?
>
> Your help will be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Srinivas Sabhanam

Hi....

The attached is what I use to 'rm' files. You can use the guts of
'purge.sh' to do what you want. Later....
--
-duke

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

--zcJ3g15gE5QbzGiw

#!/bin/sh

if (mv $* ~/tmp)
then
	echo -e '\nfiles have been moved to your ~/tmp directory.'
	echo -e 'To remove them use the purge command\n'
else
	echo 'An error occured -- files not moved!'
fi
--zcJ3g15gE5QbzGiw

#!/bin/sh
#
# A script to purge files that have been "mv"ed to the ~/tmp directory
# as a result of the aliased "rm" command. Checks for files not changed
# in the last 7 days and removes them.
#
cd ~/tmp
if (/bin/find . -ctime +7 -ok rm {} \; )
then
	echo -e "\nfiles older than 7 days in ~/tmp have been removed."
else
	echo "An error has occured -- files not removed!"
fi

--zcJ3g15gE5QbzGiw--