Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 23:30:28 -0500
From:      Ryan K.Losh <rklosh@rkl.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Oracle 8 for Linux on FreeBSD??

Hello:

My appologies if this is the wrong list for this...

I've spent some time the past few days trying to get Oracle running on
FreeBSD, and I keep getting "out of memory" errors.  The box has 512M
of memory in it, and has done 3 days of build-world's as a "burn-in"
for the ram.  I don't think it is a *LACK* of memory issue...Anyway,
here's a script file which shows the "symptoms."

I guess I should mention that I "cheated" since I couldn't get the
installer to install under FreeBSD, so I grabbed a spare disk, loaded
RH 6.2, loaded oracle to /oracle, "dumped" /oracle from a Linux promt
to tape & restored /oracle on the FreeBSD side.  Then I copied the
/etc/ora* files and the /usr/local/bin/* files oracle had installed.
I made sure those files exist both in /etc /usr/local/bin and in
/usr/compat/linux/etc /usr/compat/linux/usr/local/bin.  I've tried to
get Oracle going from the FreeBSD side with me as the only logged-in
user in a vc without X running anywhere.  Doesn't work from a
gnome-term inside a gnome login...

I've also followed (to the letter) the instructions in the handbook
for getting Linux version of Oracle running to no avail...

Any ideas??

-----------------------8<-CUT-HERE---->8---------------------------
Script started on Sun Jun 10 23:16:59 2001
bash-2.05$ uname -a
FreeBSD foo.foo.org 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #7: Fri Jun  8 20:30:35 CDT 2001     root@foo.foo.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/FOO  i386
bash-2.05$ su - oracle
Password:
[oracle@foo oracle]$ sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production on Sun Jun 10 23:17:08 2001

(c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: sys/oracle as sysdba
Connected to an idle instance.

SQL> STARTUP
ORA-27102: out of memory