Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 01:04:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        zaphod@imailbox.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Monitors... any recommendations?

> I might have the chance soon to get some new hardware (YEA!!), and it
> might include a new (or new-used) Monitor. Anybody have any advice about
> specific products that are good/that should be avoided? (I'll almost
> certainly be looking at 15-17 inch models...) Or products that work
> well/not at all with freebsd? How about monitors with tv-like controls
> (i.e. digital/on screeen) for color, contrast, brightness, etc. Has
> anybody had any experiance/problems with those?
>
> thanks,

I would reccommend Viewsonic.  I have an Optiquest V775 17", and I
wouldn't trade it for anything.  Friend of mine has a Viewsonic PT810
(21" model), and he absolutely loves it.  Very sharp, crisp color.  I have
mine running 1280X1024, he has his set to 1600X1200, and everything is
nice and defined, very readable (albeit a bit small ;) ), there is no
screen flicker, and the viewable area is complete, edge-to-edge.  The
touch controls are very easy to use/understand, and the price is now down
around $575 for my model.

I would also suggest strongly to stay away from MAG monitors.  Have had
too many of them fry on us and people we know to reccommend them.  In our
experiences, they are good up till about 3 years, then they go funky.
Returning them for factory service was also an unpleasant process.

Just my $.02

-Gary Margiotta				Voice:	(973) 835-9696
TBE Internet Services			Fax:	(973) 256-4605
http://www.tbe.net			E-Mail:	gary@tbe.net