Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 21:26:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printer recommendation

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Chuck Robey wrote:

> but it's speedy enough at least for me, and the print quality, well,
> you'll have to look very closely at your black and white copies to tell
> the difference with your current printer.  Magnifying glass-close.

How sensitive is it to paper quality?  I know my 1990 vintage
DeskJet output looks decent on premium quality paper, but pretty
poor on anything else.  This seems to be one area where lasers
are more flexible.

Also, after about 6 years, the paper feed mechanism becomes
notably unreliable.  This is something to keep in mind since the
paper handling mechanism is essentially the same on most every
member of the deskjet family I've seen.  Presumably this is
something that can be repaired with replacement parts, but I've
never investigated.

-john