Date:      Mon, 1 May 2000 05:11:49 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        pradesh.chanderpaul@iname.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q : How to share an email address

> My email provider allows me to have aliases. All
> messages sent which will then be forwarded to a single
> email account, which I receive as a POP3 account.
>
> I need to allow people to send emails to a.domain.com,
> b.domain.com, etc, where a,b are registered users on
> my FreeBSD server.
>
> When receiving the mail, I need to filter the mail
> and "hand it over" to the intended recepient's
> mailbox.

If I understand you correctly, you want a@your.machine and
b@your.machine to receive mail, but the way you want to
do it is, people will send mail to yourname@a.domain.com
and yourname@b.domain.com and these mails will all be sent
by your ISP to your mail account, and you then want to filter
them into the appropriate mailboxes / forward them to the
appropriate local users.

You can do it with procmail. It's there in the ports.
It's a bit nontrivial to use.
There are lots of links/tutorials/other stuff at

http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/users/reriksso/procmail/links.html

Rahul.