Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 01:33:43 +0800 (SGT)
From:      sweeting@tm.net.my
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Q] why not use routed ?

Just for completion and to satisfy my curiosity, does anyone
have any pointers to resources on routed, in particular :

In addition to FreeBSD machines, we also have several AIX and Digital Unix
boxes and they all use routed. In the past I was warned against using
routed with FreeBSD.... and sure enough, turning it off in /etc/sysconfig cured
the problems that I was having at the time.
(The problems were regarding virtual domains for email )

Why is it that people here tend to advise against using routed ?
 From what i understand, routed automatically sets up
the routing tables so it seems better than specifying static routes.
(although with each of my FreeBSD boxes connected directly to the central
router, I suppose there is only one route to add for each machine and
it is unlikely to change.)

If anyone could point me to resources on this , I will be very grateful.
Thank you.

chas