Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:22:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        robert Backhaus <robbakfreebsd@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        Cherie & John Carri <cjcarri@earthlink.net>, FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: Can FreeBSD make a hard drive unbootable by other OS's ?

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, robert Backhaus wrote:
> You can do anything with FreeBSD....

But you cannot undo anything (i.e. _everything_) with FreeBSD.  *wahunnn*

> Check out references on 'Dangerously Dedicated' disks. This looks promising -
> http://www.pl.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ114.html

Slices rock.  But three things aren't clear at the above write-up:

"The advantages of this mode are: FreeBSD owns the entire disk, no need to
waste several fictitious `tracks' for just nothing but a 1980-aged
simplistic partitioning model enforcing some artificial and now rather
nonsensical constraints on how this partitioning needs to be done. These
constraints often lead to what might be the biggest headaches for OS
installations on PCs, geometry mismatch hassles resulting out of two
different, redundant ways how to store the partitioning information in the
fdisk table. See the chapter about Missing Operating System. In
``dangerously dedicated'' mode, the BSD bootstrap starts at sector 0, and
this one is the only sector that always translates into the same C/H/S
values, regardless of which `translation' your BIOS is using for your disk.
Thus, you can also swap disks between systems/controllers that use a
different translation scheme, without risking that they won't boot anymore."

It isn't clear but they seem to be "selling" the reader on this version,
even though the misnomer and scary name has the word dangerous in it.

Er, that was kind of question one.

"To return a ``dangerously dedicated'' disk for normal PC use, there are
basically two options. The first is, you write enough NULL bytes over the
MBR to make any subsequent installation believe this to be a blank disk.
You can do this for example with `dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd0 count=15`"

Here I am wondering why they say "to return a d.d.d. for normal PC use" -
do they mean exclusively PC use?  I would rest better if it was written
from the angle of "here's why you may want to do x, y and z oh and here is
how to -DO- x, y and z..."

"Alternatively, the undocumented DOS ``feature'' `fdisk /mbr` will to
install a new master boot record as well, thus clobbering the BSD bootstrap."

Question 3, is this fdisk /mbr a DOS command or a FreeBSD command, or both?

> It's nothing that a `ZapDisk' type utility won't fix.

Ooh ooh ooh!  What is ZapDisk?  Is it like PartitionMagic for FreeBSDers?!

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder