Date:      31 May 1998 09:52:37 +0200
From:      Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   what is a normal way to upgrade a package?

Hi,

I was wondering how I should upgrade a package.
Example: when I want to upgrade xpm-3.4j to xpm-3.4k, I first have to
remove 3.4j, because installing 3.4k will overwrite files from 3.4j
(pity it doesn't automatically deinstall the old version and then
install 3.4k, like Redhat's rpm's of debian's .deb packages do).

But I cannot officially deinstall 3.4j because other packages depend
on it.

I can force it of course (-f) but all this looks quite primitive.

Is it really so, or am I missing some features/options?

--
 /\_/\
( o.o ) Peter Mutsaers  |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |  Trust me, I know