Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 1995 09:31:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS client caching in UNIX

one note though: every study i've seen of nfs activity (including my own
multi-month monitoring of a net i ran) shows
1) most DATA is for read (last time i checked read outnumbered write
   by over 10 to 1)
2) most of that read data is to read only file systems (/usr/local, etc.)
   (think of emacs, frame, your favorite cad system, etc.)
3) most PACKETS are lookup/gettatr, again to read only file systems

so you can win a lot by simply running CFS (from sun) or other caching
file system. I have a caching file system for nfs i wrote a number of
years ago (Autocacher) but it needs work. Anybody want to do the work,
you can have the code. It consists of a modified AMD.

ron

Ron Minnich                |Like a knife through Daddy's heart:
rminnich@sarnoff.com       |"Don't make fun of Windows, daddy! It takes care
(609)-734-3120             | of all my files and it's reliable and I like it".