Date:      Sun, 02 Sep 2012 14:50:43 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to do both DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 at the same time?

Comcast does IPv6 using DHCPv6 and DHCPv6-PD.  At least in 8.3-p3, the
in-base dhclient doesn't do DHCPv6.  I installed the
net/isc-dhcp42-client port and am successfully using as a workalike
drop-in replacement with the following in /etc/rc.conf:

dhclient_flags="-lf /var/db/dhclient.leases.${ifn} -pf
/var/run/${name}.${ifn}.pid -cf /usr/local/etc/dhclient.conf"
dhclient_program="/usr/local/sbin/dhclient"

According to the port's dhclient man page, I need add "-6" to
dhclient_flags to make dhclient do DHCPv6.  The problem is the network
scripts in the base don't differentiate between DHCPv6 and DHCPv4, so
adding that would break my network config (or at least prevent the
system from getting an IPv4 address).  Writing my own RC script for this
is completely the wrong solution, so I'm sure I'm overlooking something.
  What am I missing?