Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 98 20:20 +0100
From:      Justin Murdock <justin@vide.coventry.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stub MTA for lab machines (sendmail replacement)

> >Date: Thu, 27 Aug 98 18:16 +0100
> >From: Justin Murdock <justin@vide.coventry.ac.uk>

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

> >I'm looking for a very very simple sendmail replacement -

> >there is no incoming SMTP; _ALL_ mail is to be thrown at
> >the mailserver; no queueing necessary - graceful failure
> >if the server is down is OK. Smail would be overkill for
> >this.

> >Is there anything around?

> What I have done for situations like this is use sendmail:

Ooops, I forgot to mention that some of the boxes run IRIX, I'll
have put a real sendmail on them at the very least, and I'd rather
not run sendmail at all - I have no need of its configurability,
and until it has had a complete rewrite, I trust it as far as I could
spit the stack of security advisories about it.

> * configuration based on "null client" prototype in cf/cf/clientproto.mc;

> * no running sendmail in daemon mode.

This is precisely the configuration I would use if there were no
alternatives.

> Simple; easy to configure & understand.

easy to configure (with m4) yes, to understand (after m4) are you so sure?
and simple - sendmail - never. ;)

Yours,
Justin.