Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:25:28 +0100 (CET)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
To:        Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems fetching lang/gcc*: random?

Dear Fernan,

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Fernan Aguero wrote:
> I'm having a weird problem trying to fetch lang/gcc* ports
> using the ports system.

I don't see how the problem you are experiencing should be related
to these specific ports per se...

> This does not happen with other ports (at least not with the
> ones I tested, and with the latest gnome upgrade, I've been
> fetching lots of them), so I don't believe
> the cause to be my network connectivity or fetch(1). This is
> the first reason for this weirdness.

...but perhaps it might be related to the specific servers you are
using when downloading the distfiles for these ports?

> In all cases this is as far as I get:
>
> pi# pwd
> /usr/ports/lang/gcc34
> pi# make fetch
> Making GCC 3.4.4 for FreeBSD 4.11 target=i386-portbld-freebsd4.11
> => gcc-core-3.4-20050311.tar.bz2 doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.
>
> at the same time CPU usage raises considerably and 75-80% of
> this corresponds to a process named random, which ps(1) shows
> as /usr/games/random. As soon as I Ctrl-C and quit the
> fetch, this process disappears and CPU usage return to
> normal levels. This is the second reason I found this weird.
>
> I'm completely intrigued by this. Anyone can reproduce it,
> or better yet have an idea of what is going on?

Ah, wait, this might be a very useful piece of information and indeed
triggers at least one idea: try renaming /usr/games/random, run rehash,
and then give "make fetch" another try.  Does that make any difference?

Gerald

PS: Please keep me Cc:ed on this thread.
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald@pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/