Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2007 17:22:43 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo@cyberleo.net>
Cc:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dump/restore corrupted filesystems

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 04:09:22PM -0500, CyberLeo Kitsana wrote:

> Roland Smith wrote:
> >> Sorry if I wasn't clear. Most all of the data is readable and complete
> >> if I mount the filesystem read-only. It just panics the box when mounted
> >> read/write, and fsck can't fix the damage.
> >
> > That might be worth filing a PR for, especially the panics.
> >
> > Exactly what is damaged?  Garbage in files? Wrong inode counts? I've had
> > unclean filesystems because of panics, but nothing fsck_ffs couldn't
> > fix.
> >
> > You might want to check the hardware too. Use smartmontools in case of
> > (S)ATA drives.
>
> Smart says that the drives are fine, as does the manufacturer's disk
> fitness tools. All the files that are readable contain correct data, but
> the files that are corrupt are totally not readable, and cannot even be
> removed manually:

Given that, I would try to make a dump(8) of it.   If dump dies on
a particular file, try to exclude that file from the dump either by
rm-ing it or setting a nodump flag and try again.   You may not
actually be able to do the rm or nodump flag though if you cannot
mount it with write permission.   You might be able to force it
mounted without doing the fsck in single user.

Note that tar allows you to specify exclusions.   I usually don't
suggest using tar for mass moves because it has weaknesses with
hard links and might also not transfer flags and permissions
correctly.  But, if tar is what it takes, then use it.

Good luck,

////jerry