Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:04:45 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Murray Taylor <mtaylor@bytecraft.com.au>
Cc:        "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Frame Relay in Australia with Telstra

Murray Taylor wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Julian ... and I have a few more questions now..
>
> Telstra are asking ME to tell THEM what protocol and interface we will be
> using,
> chosen from the following:
>
> Protocols
>         1)      ITU-T (CCITT) Q933 Annex A
>         2)      ANSI T1.617 Annex D             ---- Telstra default
>         3)      LMI (FRF Doc#001-208966)

FreeBSD netgraph supports all three and will autodetect which is in use
if asked to.

telstra SHOULD support ITU by default because it's ISO/ITU/CCITT
and we are not in AMerica (ANSI == American National Standards Institute
or something, but I guess that's the market forces at work.)

LMI-FRF works but is ancient and should not be selected..

> Connection method
>         a)      X.21bis/V35
>         b)      X.21
>         c)      G.704

this is dependent on the card.

> Based on the sr(4) page I would tell them X.21 as the connection method, but
> what do I
> tell them about the protocol??
>
> BTW, I am using the code from the 4.2 CDROM, do I need to catch up anything
> w.r.t.
> the bug comment?

I think that john hay (jhay@freebsd.org)
may  know better but probably copying the newer sr driver from -current
might be a good idea, or at least seeing if the patch he did yesterday
to it (it's moved to /sys/dev/sr) can be applied to the old drivers in
/sys/i386/isa
that 4.2 has.

> I'm chasing up the WANic 405 card using the sr driver.

> (reading on) very complying is good, I too like elements that match to
> standards...
>
> If you wish to chat, call us at the office as in the sig
>
> mjt

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org
    (   OZ    ) World tour 2000-2001