Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:34:51 -0500
From:      "Micheal Patterson" <micheal@tsgincorporated.com>
To:        "Eric Crist" <ecrist@secure-computing.net>, "'Jonathan T. Sage'" <sagejona@theatre.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT] VPN issues with some windows users...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Crist" <ecrist@secure-computing.net>
To: "'Jonathan T. Sage'" <sagejona@theatre.msu.edu>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 8:48 PM

When I was using the Cisco VPN client to connect to our router as a
terminator back in the olden days, there was an option for the security
policy within the client software to totally disable access to
non-secure networks while the client was active. I can't see Cisco
changing that as time progressed.

There's also a couple of things to consider when working with the built
in vpn software for Win2k and WinXP. Windows, when connected via builtin
VPN, will connect with the remote network and provide a metric of 1 for
that route and it will also be flagged as a default gateway (remote
network of 0.0.0.0) , it becomes your best, lowest metric, route to the
world by design. I would say, that one of your vpn connections is
configured to allow your traffic to pass through it to the net whereas
one is not. Since my remote vpn users need access to medical web sites
due to the nature of thier specific jobs, I have to provide them a
method of either adjusting the metric on their individual systems or
configure to allow their web traffic to proceed as required. To me, it's
easier for me to allow their traffic and filter it heavily than to allow
remote users in other states administrative control over their network
settings.

--

Micheal Patterson
TSG Network Administration

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments,
copies of the original message.