Date:      Sun, 06 Jan 2002 08:22:59 -0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9?= Romildo Malaquias <romildo@uber.com.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9?= Romildo Malaquias <romildo@uber.com.br>
Subject:   Re: Keymap "us international" in console

--------------18CEB858553E4A9C4E687747

José Romildo Malaquias wrote:

> Hello.
>
> In an attempt to have my US keyboard working with dead keys (the so
> called "US International" keymap) I have installed the attached keymap
> file /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/us.iso.acc.kbd which, provides support
> for dead keys, and added a line with keymap="us.iso.acc.kbd" in
> /etc/rc.conf. I have also configured the console font to be iso8859-1
> (font8x8="iso-8x8", font8x14="iso-8x14", font8x16="iso-8x16"). But
> after rebooting my FreeBSD 4-4 system, I did not get the expected
> behaviour.
>
> The system accepts the dead keys, but cannot combine them with
> the vowels typed immediately after a dead key to build an
> accented character. For instance, typing 'a I get a beep and no
> á character, as it is expected. But if I type ' followed by an
> space, I get the single quote ' character.
>
> Strangely, I am getting the same behaviour in a xterm window with
> XFree86-4.1.0, which is setup to use the "us_intl" keyboard layout and
> the pc105 keyboard geometry.
>
> Any clues?

After days without an answer, I have identified the problem and its
solution. This behaviour is due to the shell been used: bash. In its
default configuration bash does not accepts characters with codes with
having the 8th bit setted, that is, with codes greater than 127. This is
the case with national characthers in the iso8859 tables. To solve the
problema, I have added the following lines to the system bash
initialization file /etc/profile:

  if [ -z "$INPUTRC" -a ! -f "$HOME/.inputrc" -a -f /etc/inputrc ]; then
      INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
      export INPUTRC
  fi

I have also added the file /etc/inputrc, attached to this message,
containing the needed configuration for bash (or better, for the readline
library used in interactive input by bash and other programs), so that it
can handle correctly 8 bits characters.

Romildo

--
Prof. José Romildo Malaquias               Departamento de Computação
http://iceb.ufop.br/~romildo       Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto

--------------18CEB858553E4A9C4E687747

# do not bell on tab-completion
#set bell-style none

set meta-flag on
set input-meta on
set convert-meta off
set output-meta on

$if mode=emacs

# for linux console and RH/Debian xterm
"\e[1~": beginning-of-line
"\e[4~": end-of-line
"\e[5~": beginning-of-history
"\e[6~": end-of-history
"\e[3~": delete-char
"\e[2~": quoted-insert
"\e[5C": forward-word
"\e[5D": backward-word
"\e\e[C": forward-word
"\e\e[D": backward-word

# for rxvt
"\e[8~": end-of-line

# for non RH/Debian xterm, can't hurt for RH/DEbian xterm
"\eOH": beginning-of-line
"\eOF": end-of-line

# for freebsd console
"\e[H": beginning-of-line