Date:      Wed, 9 Nov 2016 22:06:19 +0100
From:      diffusae <punasipuli@t-online.de>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to change MAC address on RPI-B?

Hi,

thanks a lot for your help.

On 09.11.2016 12:35, John W. Kitz wrote:

> I saw a couple of emails whizz by, which discussed how to override the
> burned in MAC address (BIA) on an RPI-B.

Do you saw them at this mailing list? Maybe I should have a look into
the archive?

> techniques, i.e. overriding the BIA of a NIC and configuring a NIC into
> promiscuous mode, was made while such a dependency does not or at least, to
> the best of my knowledge, should not exist.

That's true, if you try this in Linux, you could use one of both
techniques. You can override the MAC on boot or set the MAC on runtime.
And this works on the fly.

> have a NIC consider frames that aren't destined for the NIC's BIA address as
> if they were, so I doubt that such a need exists today.

Normally you shouldn't use the promiscuous mode for this. You only need
it, if you use some kind of sniffing software for the whole network
traffic, etc.

Best regards,