Date:      Mon, 06 Nov 2006 17:53:26 +0100
From:      Mark Nowiasz <buckaroo@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: asking for properties on desktop crashes nautilus (+ Building Firefox fails)

> > I noticed that one other person indicated the same problem.  I'm
> > wondering how I can get a good traceback.  The bug report one as I said
> > is bogus.  I get something like 40000 trace lines and only one thread.
> > Most of those trace lines are at address 0.

I'm encountering *exactly* the same bug (amd64, 6-2 stable here, too).

Plus I've encountered another bug in nautilus: when trying to examine
the properties of a mpeg-movie (using totem-gstreamer, for some
mysterious reasons totem (xine) just crashes everytime I tried to use
it, wheres xine itself works fine), nautilus just hangs with a message
that the properties window is being created.

The only way to make nautlilus work again is to kill it (thus restarting
it) - without killing, nautilus doesn't do anything anymore.

> You will need to rebuild everything, including system libraries, with
> debugging symbols.  I keep a machine around for just this purpose, but I
> cannot reproduce such a crash.

I think I found another problem (concerning bug buddy): since 2.16 bug
buddy tends to look at the wrong places when trying to gdb the
executable, therefore producing such unusable debug infos)

Concerning firefox (the problem Ralph Zitz had): I had precisely the
same problems trying to compile firefox2. I finally found the culprit:
mozilla + WITH_JAVA=1. I had globally enabled this switch, mozilla
compiled and installed just fine - but firefox won't build.

After rebuilding mozilla without the knob (WITH_JAVA=1), firefox
compiled just fine.

To prevent that it would be a very good idea to add a switch in
mozilla's makefile: disable JAVA when compiling on amd64. (BTW: is there
any particular reason why the java browserplugin isn't available on
amd64?)

Oh, BTW: yesterday firefox2 nearly completely froze my X11 - mouse was
still working, but I couldn't click on anything at all. After switching
to a console and killing firefox X was working again. Unfortunately, I
wasn't able to reproduce this bug.

Regards,
Mark
--
Boys will be boys, and so will a lot of middle-aged men.
		-- Kin Hubbard