Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 17:53:35 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        "Jeff W." <dmt@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: mouse is retarded in X, but fine in XF86Setup

>well it's probably me that's retarded, but oh well.  In XF86Setup my mouse
>works without any problems, so I click the APPLY button, set up the rest of
>my stuff, and run X.  But, in X, the mouse is very jumpy, and seems to only
>move around the sides of the screen.  What the heck is it's problem?  It's
>a Microsoft PS2 Intellimouse, one of those nifty mice with a wheel on it.
>The link in /dev/mouse points to /dev/sysmouse, I don't know if that makes
>a difference, that's also the port that i chose to install the mouse on in
>XF86Setup.
> --Jeff W.

IF you are running FreeBSD 2.2.6 or later and XFree86 3.3.2 or later,
and you have `moused' running, you MUST tell the X server that
/dev/sysmouse is your mouse port (if /dev/mouse is linked to
/dev/sysmouse, it's OK), and specify "SysMouse" or "Auto" as protocol.

IF you are NOT running `moused', the mouse port for your PS/2
IntelliMouse should be /dev/psm0 and the protocol MUST be "PS/2".

See /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.mouse.

Kazu