Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 19:59:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        "Chip Rose." <ncrose@picusnet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ADVOCACY <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dns lookup problem

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Chip Rose. wrote:

> Hopefully this isn't too off topic, but my portsentry logs show that
> I've been hit repeatedly by the following dns number this week:
> 211.119.248.38
>
> I've tried using dns lookup via webpages that offer it, but always get
> back "no results for this nameserver value."  Am I missing something in
> trying to find out who 211.119.248.38 is?

Not all IPs are set up for reverse resolution or inverse address mapping.
On your BSD box you should be able to use "dig -x 211.119.248.38" or
"nslookup 211.119.248.38". You'll see it isn't set up. But the dig report
will also tell you a little bit about who may be responsible for that IP.

You can also use whois and point it to an ARIN host to find out more about
that particular IP. Then whois will tell you to also try an APNIC
host. For example:
   whois -h whois.arin.net 211.119.248.38
   whois -h whois.apnic.net 211.119.248.38

Yes. This is entirely off topic. You should consider using a different
mailing list to further this discussion.

Good luck,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/