Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 15:02:46 -0700
From:      "Gravel, Emmanuel (AZ77)" <Emmanuel.Gravel@CAS.honeywell.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Problems with the X server

I have recently installed FreeBSD 2.2.7 using a custom install.
I installed anything that seemed relevant for X (installing only
the necessary servers, i.e. the SVGA, ATI and one last one,
plus KDE for the windowmanager).  When doing the setup
of XFree86 (using the GUI), at the end, when it attempts starting
the server, all I get is a blank screen and nothing more.  The
error message I get from the setup program (after a CTRL-ALT-
BACKSPC) is that the server is running on an other (or an
invalid) virtual terminal.  When attempting to run it using
startx (I have a .xinint file in my home dir containing startkde)
I still get the same result.  I have installed qt-1.33, but I also
get strange errors (PID could not get read, and xterm: fatal IO
error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0".

I usually wait about a minute (i.e. not just a few seconds) before
I shut down the server with the keystrokes.

Any idea where I can get a more complete list of error messages,
or what I can do to fix this problem?  It's quite a strange problem
from a fresh install.  All commandline stuff works fine (or at least
seems to from the limited amount of things I've tried).

Thanks for your help!

Manu