Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 09:01:57 -0700
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE Zip drive, challenge!

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997 18:33:13 +1000
 Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> wrote:

 > 1)	The drive is not locked when the disk is mounted.
 >
 > 2)	Once a disk has been ejected and another inserted, the disk
 > 	reports an error condition that the IDE driver can't handle.
 >
 > In the case of 1), we need media lock/unlock support as for SCSI
 > removables.  This should be moderately easy.
 >
 > In the case of 2), the error is almost certainly a "media changed"
 > notification.  This status needs to be recognised and correctly
 > acknowledged.

...This is precicely why NetBSD's ATAPI code uses the SCSI disk and cdrom
drivers; in fact, most of the command sending and error recovery code,
as well as the cores of the drivers, is shared between SCSI and ATAPI.

You may want to take a look at how we did it, to get ideas.

 > In both cases, there should be ATAPI standards for dealing with these
 > situations, and we can hope that Iomega have done the right thing and
 > followed them.

My guess is "yes", considering that Iomega went out of their way to convince
a NetBSD developer that "SCSI over a different transport" was the right
way to do ATAPI.  In fact, the ATAPI ZIPs probably natively use SCSI commands,
and only present an IDE emulation interface so that you can boot off them.

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 415 604 0935