Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 14:19:56 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cron and daylight savings

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 08:12:07 -0400, Graeme Tait wrote:

> What happens if my machine is running local time with daylight savings
> adjustments, and I schedule jobs between 2 and 3 am (or whenever the
> transitions occurs)?
>
> Do they get skipped in the daylight savings transition in Spring and run
> twice in the Fall?

Yes. :-)

See the BUGS section of the new crontab(5) manpage:

BUGS

     If you're in one of the 70-odd countries that observe Daylight
     Savings Time, jobs scheduled during the rollback or advance will be
     affected.  In general, it's not a good idea to schedule jobs during
     this period.

     For US timezones (except parts of IN, AZ, and HI) the time shift
     occurs at 2AM local time.  For others, the output of the zdump(8)
     program's verbose (-v) option can be used to determine the moment
     of time shift.

Ciao,
Sheldon.