Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 1997 07:02:16 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        jbryant@tfs.net, dkelly@HiWAAY.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: F1.17 (was Re: C2 Trusted FreeBSD?)

> That depends on whether you are constrained to thinking inside the
> current model of escalated conflict and warplay.  I'd have to say that
> there are plenty of other ways that the entire conflict could have been
> dealt with.  For sure, in a most-toys-wins comparison, the '117 is a
> great asset.

Hmmm.  Well, even under the broad umbrella of -chat, this looks like
it's dangerously close to veering off into alt.amateur.military.debate
material so if you'd like to elaborate on just what interesting new
models for warfare you have come up with using that unconstrained
perspective of yours, perhaps we can take it to private email. ;-)

> It's not meant to be; it's a weapon.  Use a surveilance device to look
> at things, and a weapon to break them.  My only point is that

Sorry, I thought it was also obvious enough that satellite
reconnaisance is too slow (it can take hours to get the strike zone
into somebody's footprint) and that it's still unproven whether or not
the smaller RPVs can survive as part of a concentrated strike package.
It's going to take something pretty special to wean the brass from
their gun camera and bombsite footage, that's all I'm saying.  I
haven't seen it quite yet.

> > Also, when you're arguing your RPVs, I assume you're also not talking
> > about replacing the gunship helicopters?  Those are just too usefully
> > agile to get rid of anytime soon, I think.
>
> Why are they going to get less agile when you remove the need to
> provide protection for the crew?  If you cut the cockpit and glass out
> of an Apache, you reduce the side area by about 25%; this lets you cut

Sorry, "agile" was the wrong word - "flexible" is what I meant.  Even
with the ultimate robot equipped Apache, hundreds of pounds lighter
and able to take G loads that no human pilot could, you've still got
the problem of having it hang out intelligently in a battlefield
environment, taking the proper initiatives when confronted with
opportunities for inflicting serious damage on some enemy asset.  The
software for truly intelligent autonomous roaming at the same level as
a pair of human eyes just isn't there and you know it - the state of
AI today is in rather sad shape and the talking paperclip in Office 97
is about as close as any of us will get to HAL 9000 during this
particular millenium (and quite possibly the next one as well if we
keep slipping HAL's ship dates the way we have so far).  The
alternative is telepresence, and I don't see that being a particularly
robust solution either in the presence of problems like jamming,
transmission delay and the plain and simple fact that a Mark-I
eyeball, during daylight operations, still beats a sensor sending back
some limited resolution picture (now at night, on the other hand, I do
see a rather different story - that time may indeed someday belong
solely to the machines).

> You are still thinking like a capitalist warmonger.  Economy of scale
> and pragmatic design would bring weapon costs *down*, not drive them
> up.  I'm not advocating "hypersmart" weapons, just "adequately smart"
> ones.  The Tomahawk is an excellent example of an overpriced,

So you'd prefer to build V1 buzz-bombs than V2 rockets - that sort of
mindset?  That mindset works in a few areas of warfare, one perhaps
being missiles, but it doesn't work with, say, tanks.  We proved that
in WW-II, where the far more numerically superior Shermans were
nonetheless sitting ducks for the German Tigers, and we proved it
again in the Gulf - most of the T-72 tanks lost in the battle of 83
Easting were hit at ranges beyond where they could even see and engage
the M-1 Abrams.  Sometimes building a smaller number of more expensive
and capable weapons beats building a larger number of cheaper but far
more easily killed weapons, economies of scale or not.

> For a good example, look at the aircraft that the Australian BoM are
> developing for remote-area weather sensing.  It's fully autonomous,
> capable of dealing intelligently with almost any weather condition
> (inclding flying in cyclonic weather conditions) and has a "loiter
> time" measured in days.

Yes yes, or the Israeli RPVs for that matter.  All interesting ideas
and even very good for certain roles, like artillery spotting, but I
just don't see them quite replacing the manned aircraft this year,
you know what I'm saying? :-)

				Jordan