Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 1999 15:13:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Oliver Bankel <oliver.bankel@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My kernel won't boot. Problem with npx0. Any Ideas?

On 7 Jun 1999, Oliver Bankel wrote:

> I am relativly new to FreeBSD and UNIX.
> Now I have written my own kernel.
> Also I am sure I have compiled it correctly.
> But I have a Problem.
> After He loads the npx0 I get this error
> message : ( It's absolutly so how its posted here)
>
> .
> .
> npx0 on motherboard
> npx0: INT 16 interface
>
> Fatal trap 12: page fault while in Kernel mode
> fault virtual address	= 0x58
> fault code 		= supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer 	= 0x8:0xc01a164t
> stack pointer 		= 0x10:0xc0289f84
> frame pointer		= 0x10:0xc0289f88
> code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff
> 			= DPL 0, pres 1; def 32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags		=interupt enabled, resume  IOPL=0
> current process 		= 0 ( )
> interrupt mask 		=
> trap number		= 12
> panic: page fault
>

> Then the message for rebooting comes up.
> I have no idea whats wrong in my kernel config file.
> I have an Cyrix 6x86 and both the 486 and 586 cpu classes loaded.
> And I have 64 MB RAM.

Well, you made some change that wasn't correct, and the kernel doesn' like
you.  To fix:

1)  At the boot: prompt type 'unload' then 'boot kernel.GENERIC' to get
your old system back.

2)  Double-check your changes ('diff -u GENERIC mykernel' works great for
this)  Edit as necessary.

3)  Rebuild an reboot.

Doug White