Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:33:56 +0100
From:      Andy Sporner <sporner@nentec.de>
To:        "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@lanl.gov>
Cc:        "Rouzer, Charles A (Chuck)" <car@vitalit.com>, freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sharing files within a cluster

I think here there needs to be made a distinction between farm computing
such as Ron is talking about and he is then of course correct.

However in a single-image environment these concepts are actually sort
of desirable.

Example if I have a process that is attached to shared memory, how can it
migrate.  It should be able to!    The answer is to map the memory pages
in a way so as to allow them to be swappable from node to node at the
VM layer.

Sequent used a Numa concept on their new machines (before IBM killed
them) and I am very familiar with this approach.   This allowed standard
applications to run without modifications (such as Oracle)...

Andy