Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 1994 00:16:34 +1100 (DST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
To:        Andreas Schulz <ats@g386bsd.first.gmd.de>
Cc:        Steven Jorgensen <steve@khoros.unm.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: deskjet 560C and apsfilter (was Re: Disk config problem)

On Tue, 27 Dec 1994, Andreas Schulz wrote:

> > 	3.  Finally, I'm trying to set up my printcap to print to my Deskjet
> > 	    560c printer.  I don't have my printcap entry available right
> > 	    now, but I'm pretty sure it's set up correct (I had an example to
> > 	    work from.)  The problem is that when I lpr a file, takes the
> > 	    file does nothing.  No error is printed in the printer log, and
> > 	    no error is given to stderr.  I'm using the apsfilter script to
> > 	    preprocess the file for my printer, and I suspect that may be
> > 	    the problem.  However, when I send a file to this script
> > 	    by itself, and redirect the output to my parallel port device,
> > 	    it seems to print just fine.  Any ideas what I am doing
> > 	    wrong?  If you'd like to see the printcap, I'll email it
> > 	    tonight when I get home.
>
> I know some answers for that part :-). apsfilter-1.11 doesn't work
> out of the box for FreeBSD-2.0 in the moment. First thing to change
> is the ECHO=echo line to a ECHO=printf line.
> Second thing, search for the calls of "pr". It uses the "-f" in these
> calls, but the FreeBSD 2.0 pr only knows a "-F" flag instead. And the
> last is is the "-o $INDENT". If you don't need it trhow it simply
> out of apsfilter. It gets a default of 0 for this, but pr doesn't
> like a "pr -o 0" and gives only an error message for that. I am just
> asking in our internal list, if i can relax the posix conformance for
> pr for these annoying features :-). Also you may need to convert a normal
> ascii file from a Linefeed only file to a Cariage Return/Linefeed file
> before printing. I have achieved that with a pipe of the "pr" output
> to:
> 	" | awk 'ORS=\r\n" { print } '
>
> And if i now would only find out, why the Canon BJ10e driver in ghostscript
> uses slightly wrong paper-sizes and looses some pixels on the edge, i would
> be completely happy :-).
>

> 	  ATS ( ats@first.gmd.de or ats@cs.tu-berlin.de )
>
> Andreas Schulz  GMD-FIRST     12489  Berlin-Adlershof  Rudower Chaussee 5
> Gebaeude 13.7   Tel: +49-30-6392-1856/+49-177-2134745    Germany/Europe

I am also having trouble printing to a deskjet 560C from 2.0R.  I am
using apsfilter-1.11.

I have made the above modifications to my copy of apsfilter but if I use
lpr filename all I seem to get out of the printer is loads of blank pages
with a few characters printed on some.  If I do

  cat filename | /usr/local/bin/apsfilter > /dev/lpt0

it all works fine.  Any other suggestions ??

My /etc/printcap entry looks like

lp|deskjet|HP Deskjet 560C:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :if=/usr/local/bin/apsfilter:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

Carey Nairn                     ! email : Carey.Nairn@its.utas.edu.au
Networks and Communications     ! phone : (002) 20 7419
Information Technology Services ! fax   : (002) 20 7898
University of Tasmania.         !