Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 21:14:38 -0300 (ADT)
From:      Marco Shaw <marco@nbnet.nb.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ed0: timeout

Yes, I got this mysterious message, checked the archives, fiddled some
more.  I found the solution to this in my case and just wanted to write to
this list so it was added to the archive.

My ethernet card and modem were configured to use IRQ5 via
jumpers/software.  I wanted to use both without removing the cover and was
in a hurry initially so I left both cards in the computer figuring that if
I just run 'boot: -cv' and disable whatever I wasn't using (disable sio2
if I wanted to use ed0 or vice-versa) and everything would work as long as
I rebooted.

So with only sio0 enabled for my mouse, and ed0 enabled I figured that
I'd have no problem even if my modem card rested in the slot with sio2
disabled...WRONG!

Somehow...someway ed0 got confused even if the kernel 'wasn't supposed
to'.  Go figure.  Hopefully, this will save some other poor soul...

Marco