Date:      Fri, 06 Dec 2002 06:57:56 -0800
From:      Rob <rob@pythonemproject.com>
To:        Maxime Henrion <mux@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: nvidia drivers hate me/  too!

Maxime Henrion wrote:

> Doug Barton wrote:
> > The native nvidia drivers work great in RELENG_4 with my geforce 4 mmx,
> > but in -current they hate me. I just upgraded to the latest -current and
> > I'm using XFree compiled on -current, no joy. It's always the same error:
> >
> > panic: bremfree: bp 0xc7751bb8 not locked
>
> This is not the real panic(), the real one is an assertion failure in
> vm_page_wire().  In -CURRENT, vm_page_wire() should be called with the
> page queue mutex held.  The nVidia driver lacks a fair amount of
> vm_page_lock_queues() calls, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was
> missing more things, with respect to locking.
>
> Cheers,
> Maxime

Insomnia.  I spent all of last night trying different things on -current
to get the Geforce 2 on my laptop and the Geforce 4 in my main computer
to work.

Tried the nv.tar.gz patches.  No good.  Tried the NVidia driver with the
mtrr patches.  No good.

It seems that the cvsup from last night is much worse than earlier
builds.  I did once get the nv.tar.gz method working on my laptop.  That
was from a cvsup the day after DP2 came out.

Good grief, I couldn't even get grub to load so I could try out OpenBSD
on drive #2.  Time to do something else instead of computers.

Rob.