Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 21:22:27 -0800
From:      John David Galt <jdg@tomatoweb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   install hangs

I'm trying to set up a new standalone FreeBSD 2.2.5 system, from the November
CD-ROMs, using a boot floppy as per the manual.  The floppy boots up, I get
through UserConfig, and all the devices are displayed correctly (except of course
COM3 and COM4).  Then the system displays the line

    /stand/sysinstall running as init on vty0

, clears the screen, and hangs!  (I can then view the device output by hitting Scroll
Lock and PageUp, but other than that, nothing happens even if I wait 10 minutes.)

Hardware details:

CPU is AMD 386DX / 33, 8 meg RAM, AMI BIOS dated 1990
Trident VGA card
QuickPath Systems Portfolio XP controller for IDE/floppies/serial/parallel, settings:
    COM1 port=3F8 IRQ4  (Microsoft Mouse)
    COM2 port=2F8 IRQ3
    COM3 port=3E8 IRQ3
    COM4 port=2E8 IRQ3
    LPT1 port=378 IRQ7
    LPT2 port=278 (IRQ disabled)
    2 floppies (1.44 and 1.2)
    2 IDE hard drives (105 and 340 meg), mapped correctly
Trantor SCSI controller, port=350h, IRQ5, addr=DA000
(which I set up in UserConfig as nca0, setting the above numbers manually)
    ShinaKen CD-ROM (SCSI address 1)
No network card.

The BIOS is set to boot from C:,A: (It can't boot from the SCSI controller because that
was added after I had the system, and has its own BIOS.)

UserConfig reports no hardware conflicts, and indeed there are none, since this was
(until recently) a working DOS 5.0 / Windows 3.1 system.  However, I wiped the hard
drive for copyright reasons, when I moved DOS and Windows to a new machine.

Any and all hints would be very much appreciated.  Thanks!

John David Galt