Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2002 08:03:41 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: D-Link DWL-650

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 11:06:59PM -0900, Damien Hull wrote:
> > On Sun, 2002-11-10 at 10:32, Warren Block wrote:
> > Off-list reply...
> >
> > > I've got a Toshiba Tecra 700CT that I would like to connect to a
> > > wireless network. The wireless card I have is a D-Link DWL-650.
> >
> > This card works fine on my Tecra 8000.  Make sure you don't have the
> > DWL-650A, which is Cardbus.
> >
> > > 3. When trying to pass traffic I get a "watchdog timeout" where the card
> > > times out instead of sending data.
> >
> > I think that's an interrupt error.  On a machine that old, it may be an
> > ISA thing.  First, look through your BIOS settings for PNP (Configure by
> > OS) and PC Card controller mode.  On mine, I found that making these
> > settings worked the best for the various cards I had.  (Although the
> > DWL-650 worked fine without them.)
> >
> > -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA
>
> I did some more searching and testing and everything I found seams to
> say the same thing you did. It's an IRQ problem.
>
> I tried different IRQs with out any luck. Again, the card looks
> configured but you can't pass any traffic. When I try to ping a host I
> get "watchdog timeout".
>
> I may end up using Linux on this laptop.

When you say, "I tried different IRQs", what exactly do you mean?  Is
the IRQ on the card jumperable, or do you mean that in the BIOS you set
certain IRQs to "ISA/Legacy" (or similiar) and others to "PCI/PnP"?  If
you were just tweaking with BIOS settings, what settings did you
try?  If you jumpered to card for a specific IRQ, which IRQs did you
try?  Randomly picking IRQs is not a reliable test method.

Nathan