Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:13:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Mobile@FreeBSD.org, Bob Van Valzah <Bob@Talarian.Com>
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad 600X: Can't work out which disk we are booting from

On 24-Jul-01 Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> Note this is fixed via pr-26382.  Which makes IBM ThinkPads & Desktops
> boot from a FreeBSD bootable CD.  The problem is they expect to see
> a "MS-DOS" type disk header which {Open,Net}BSD and Linux have so things
> work.  FreeBSD does not.  I made an 4.3 ISO image with this patch applied
> to the boot code.  Some people on this list have access to that.  I did
> that at my former employer (IBM) they might be able to send you the
> ISO image.  Yes it is a pain on some IBM machine in which it is difficult
> to have a floppy and CD device attached at the same time.

Robert Nordier has dropped maintainership of the x86 boot blocks, so I'll try
and look at this PR today or next week.  Keep reminding me if I don't get
around to it. :)  Hmm, could you update the patch so instead of patching boot2
you add a new header file that defines the offset of xread and have that header
file have a dependecy on ${.OBJDIR}/boot1 and be generated from boot1?  I
think that would be cleaner than patching actual soure code.