Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 20:55:39 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Faried Nawaz <fn@hungry.org>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: emacs 18.59.

> > I maintain some elisp code that has to work all the way back to Emacs
> > 18.59.  Does anyone have patches to build Emacs 18.59 on FreeBSD 3.x?
>
> No, but have you tried just building it?  I can probably drag out some
> port logs if you run into trouble, but it would be nice to know what
> goes wrong first.

My guess is that the ELF stuff in 3.x might present some
problems for the undump phase of the build.  I see two simple
solutions:

* Forget 3.x and install emacs-18.59 on a 2.2.8 system, where
  there's a good chance that it'll just work -- after all, it's
  not the FreeBSD version that matters for this, but the emacs
  version and nobody sane would have been building such an old
  emacs version in the lifetime of 3.x.

* See if the lisp code will run on the temacs executable and
  forget the undump phase -- it's about a trillion years since I
  last needed to do something like this (it was emacs-17.49 as I
  recall) and it might not work with 18.59, but it might be
  worth a try.

* The third of these two easy options is to forget compatibility
  with emacs-18, given that so much has changed in the lisp
  system in the major updates since then.

If I'd taken the plunge and installed my 3.1 CDs, I might have
tried one of these ideas out there, but I haven't so I can't ;-)

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>