Date:      Sat, 25 Jun 2011 00:05:05 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why "{" is treated as vi(1) section delimiter

An idea that doesn't solve the problem, but may provide an idea
for a workaround by changing the setting:

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 11:29:11 +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> Why then on a *.tex file the above motion
> commands move to "{" in the first column?
>
> For example, in this file:
>
>     1   It is possible to show using linear algebra that Tresca cylinder has
>     2   a hexagon as a base, and von Mises condition has a circle. Because
>     3   neither is dependent on the volumetric stress, it is convenient to
>     4   plot stress states on 2D plane normal to $\sigma_{kk}=0$ plane,
>     5   {\em deviatoric plane}, see Fig. \ref{fig:plane}
>     6
>     7   \begin{figure}[htb]
>     8   \centerline{\includegraphics[width=6cm]{./figs/yield_plane.pdf}}
>     9   \caption{Tresca hexagon and von Mises circle on the deviatoric plane.}
>    10   \label{fig:plane}
>    11   \end{figure}
>    12
>
> vi "[[" or "]]" move to line 5.

Maybe I'm the wrong person to say that, but I'm "doing it wrong"
all the time:

You are using \em, scoped by { ... } to emphasize text. The
recommended way is to use \textem{ ... }. If you try to use
the "non-fragile" LaTeX command instead of the "low level" TeX
macros, can you change the behaviour regarding the delimiters?

If you want to keep the \em macro, you could remove the scope
given by { and } and end the emphasized sequence by \rm, falling
back to "normal" roman typeface.

But as I said, I'm using {\em ...}, {\bf ...}, {\tt ...} and so on
on a regular basis. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany